[3830] CQWW SSB VA3DF SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VA3DF SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:26:58 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VA3DF
Operator(s): VA3DF
Station: VA3DF

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    7     2        2
   80:   25     3        2
   40:   74    17       43
   20:  143    21       64
   15:  234    23       77
   10:  292    21       75
------------------------------

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Now that was really something else! Not much for phone contests but can't pass
up a beauty like CQ WW SSB, the sheer magnitude of the event is staggering!
Kinda tired as WL says I worked over 40 hours but it was definitely worth the
effort!The following are random musings from an overly tired qrp competitor:

There must be something seriously wrong with the DNA of anyone who voluntarily
works QRP SSB on 40 during a DX contest!If you like having people CQ in your
face or having lots of time between qsos, then this puppy is for you!

10 m. was packed but it was kinda like shopping at a cut rate grocery store -
the shelves were full but there wasn't much selection!

15 m. was unreal! After being on the band I had to go take an aspirin and qsy
to something quiet like 10 m.

20 was very nice - not much during the day but this baby came alive on Sunday
evening.

80 m. let me down and we are no longer BFF.

The chances of working a needed DX station are inversely related to how much
you need him! Countries you have already worked are so easy you may as well
just mail it in but if you need them for a mult be prepared to wait because
everyone else in the world will be ahead of you and then he will not be able to
copy your call correctly!

Watch out for your competition - every time you hear them it will reinforce how
inadequate your own station and abilities are......

When you are tired and frustrated you make dumb mistakes like transmitting on
the wrong vfo or not having the VOX turned on (see previous comments regarding
40 m. operations)!

80 m. is actually only a band for QRO operators, it's kinda like the forbidden
land for qrp people!

In spite of everything, I worked more qsos than ever before and turned in a
credible(?) performance.

Many thanks to those who traveled to remote locations - you guys are the best!

Time for a nap.

73,

Doug
VA3DF