[3830] CQWW SSB N8XX SOSB/10 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n8xx@arrl.org, hgreeb@one.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N8XX SOSB/10 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 20:07:29 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SOSB/10 QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

  160:   0      0        0
   80:   0      0        0
   40:   0      0        0
   20:   0      0        0
   15:   0      0        0
   10:  98     20       49
------------------------------
Total:  98     20       49  Total Score = 17,388

Club: LOWELL AMATEUR RADIO CLUB

Comments:

Surprized me that QRP to a cloud warmer antenna could do anything on SSB.  First
day was better propagation than Sunday, but more competition from the "big
guns."

Had fun squeaking thru a big pileup to make a contact by judicious choice of
when to drap my call.  This happened at least a dozen times.  Sunday afternoon
I started with 60 Q's, thought an additional 40 would be relatively easy, but
QSB was fierce - I heard a new DX station - they faded in and out, so I had to
time calls near a peak.  Didn't quite make 100.  Dratz!

As some of my QRO buddies say, running QRP is a tribute to the operators on the
receiving end.  Several times, especially Sunday when QSB was rampant, some of
the DX ops asked over and over again for "the N8" or "the XX" until it was
either obvious that propagation wasn't going to hit a big enough peak, or I
squoke through with my info.  It just shows to go you that 1.5+++ KW to a
200'++ high gain antenna isn't a requirement for communications.  Power helps,
but I continue to be surprised at what a peanut whistle can do.

Rig is an ancient TR-5, cranked down to <5 Watts as measured by a Heath HM-9
QRP power output meter.  Between that an my 32' high, 135' long inverted v is a
LDG Z-100 tuner and a LDG 4/1 voltage balun attached to 400 ohm (nominal) window
line.  (Now y'all can laugh at this setup!)

Tnx to the organizers of the contest.  Great show!