[3830] CQWW SSB N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N7GP(N5IA) SOSB/160 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:56:54 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N7GP

Class: SOSB/160 HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 20

  160:  338    11       20
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

I last did a 160 Single Band in this contest in 1996.  I was portable on
Heliograph Peak at 10,000'.  The first storm of the winter season blew in on
Friday Evening and by midnight took down my wire vertical which was suspended
between two towers.  By the time I left Sunday morning there was 18" of snow on
the ground.

Fortunately this year the weather was much more cooperative.  However, the band
conditions were miserable compared to the fantastic conditions of the low part
of the sunspot cycle in 1996.

This operation was the first true ring-out of a portion of the new station near
Safford, AZ.  The vertical was up for IARU and I have been testing various
Beverage RX antenna equipment and wire configurations for the past three
months.

Thanks to outlaws K7IA and in particular N5BG who have been instrumental in
assisting me with the construction to this point.

Not too much to write home about respect the contest itself.  With poor
propagation, high QRN and LOOOOONG + deep QSB cycles, it was not the best of
conditions.

The TX antenna appears to play very well.  The RX antennas are working superbly
but I am disappointed with ambient noise levels.  More experience in the heat of
battle is needed to deliver a final verdict on this location.

The stats.

A total of 338 Q's.

275 Q's were with Zones 3, 4, & 5 for Zone mult count and ZERO points.

Point value Q's were 52 for 2 points and 11 for 3 points.  Of the 2 pointers,
33 were with VE and 4 with XE.

The best DX Q's were with LU2DKT and LT1F in Argentina.  Prop to southern SA
was great both nights; the only path that appeared to be good.  I managed CR2X
in the Azores on night 2 for the longest distance contact.

The only EU heard was a weak IK5BAF CQing on MY CQ freq.  Obviously he wasn't
hearing me.

I did not hear any VK, ZL or UA9/0 either night from the west.

73 de Milt, N5IA