[3830] CQWW SSB VE4VT SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE4VT SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 05:28:29 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 46.5

  160:    9     3        2
   80:  147    14       19
   40:  488    24       60
   20:  931    28       83
   15:  824    30      101
   10:  610    29      100
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Conditions not quite as good as last year and unfortunately not as good as
earlier in the week as the flux declined. Much the same story as in the past. I
am just handicapped on the low bands from this location in any DX contest.
Living on a noisey postage stamp City lot also doesn't help. Listening to the
west coast work ASIA and the east coast working Europe is the norm. It really
hurts when the true 59 signals from Europe CQ in your face on 40m and you don't
even get a "QRZ???". Working with an S9+ noise level on 80m means I avoid this
band as much as possible.

With the K index at 0, the signals from Asia were very strong and clear, no
auroral haze or flutter this time, a real treat.

As usual trying to find a place to run was darn near impossible. Many times it
was impossible. Being 1 skip away from the east coast, west coast and southern
US means that huge QRM is present no matter what way you point your antenna. I
think the WRTC folks should consider VE4 as the location for the next
championship! Give them a real challenge...:)

I found some incredible rates at times but I probably spent almost as much time
S&P. Most of the mults won't come to you so you must spin the dial.  With the
bands packed, this was easy to do and actually produced a good rate of nearly 1
q per minute.

Sleep deprivation started to take its toll at the end. Loss of speech control
and major dyslexia was a common occurrence during the last couple hours. It
took a lot of effort to type each letter correctly. I am sure there were a few
ops that thought I had totally lost it...add some QRM and it meant a lot of
repeats.

A few things that really got to me. The use of "Germany" as the phonetic for G.
Why can't we all use "Gulf"??? A small thing I know but it just began to bother
me this weekend.... Another are the ops that just open up right next to you
without even checking if the frequency is active.  Or the ones that decide to
use your frequency to transmit on and listen somewhere else on 40m.

Remember the days a few years back when there were no sunspots and everyone was
sandwiched on 20m without 15 and 10m being open?

See everyone in SS!

Ed