[3830] CQWW SSB VE3AAQ SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vo1au@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VE3AAQ SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 13:13:34 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE3AAQ
Operator(s): VE3AAQ
Station: VE3AAQ

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: Suburbistan
Operating Time (hrs): 25

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 1863    30      113
------------------------------
Total: 1863    30      113  Total Score = 754,182

Club:

Comments:

This was my first operation from my new QTH.  I got the rotator working only one
day before the contest began.

I chose to go single-band on 10m because:
- my station is pretty simple - a tribander (Hy-Gain TH5) at 15m (50ft)
- no good low-band antennas yet
- this is about as good as this sunspot cycle is going to get
- I'm a little out of contest shape after spending two years in Asia, where I
could only operate sporadically or in multi-ops, and I did not have my own
station at home to keep my skills sharp.

I reckon 10m was a good choice.  The band was very good, but not spectacular.
The openings to Europe were very good, and I was able to run quite well.
Propagation to Asia was poor, with a relatively small number of Japanese
stations heard and worked, a few from Zone 27, but nothing from the East Asian
mainland.  Think the band favoured longer paths, as I really couldn't get runs
of US stations going.

This contest gave me an opportunity to meet my neighbours.  Apparently, I was
coming through their computer speakers and mice very well.  I took off three
hours of prime running time Saturday to fix the problems.  They were easily
resolved with a few snap-on ferrite chokes.  That cost me my 2,000 QSO target,
but I have supportive, friendly neighbours across the back fence.

There was some DX I was thrilled to snag: FK, T88, VU, C3, 4U1ITU and both TA
multipliers.