[3830] CQWW SSB VY1EI SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VY1EI@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB VY1EI SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 18:10:32 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: VY1EI
Operator(s): VY1EI
Station: VY1EI

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Yukon
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:   14     8       11
   20:  275    17       44
   15:  947    24       59
   10: 1385    22       38
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

First million point contest. Wow. I started the contest with the intent of
running a 10m single band effort. I planned on running 10m for as long as it
was open and then running on the other bands when 10m was closed. Then at the
end of the weekend I'd decide if I'd post a 10m effort or an all band effort.
My 15m single band score last year was just under the all band record so I
figured I could exceed that record if band conditions were good

10m was off to a roaring start. 200 QSOs in the first hour. Then poof, the band
disappeared. Then 20m was open to Europe. Solar flux was lower than last year
but the bands were exceptionally quiet for the entire contest period and that
gave me more opportunities than last year. Operating in the Canadian north, HF
propagation is spotty and the aurora always makes it tough getting QSOs with
Europe. But the bands were so quiet and with the low aurora I got runs going
into EU on two bands which I've never had before. Stations in Europe sounded
like they were from South America with no auroral garble at all. And it was
like this for all 48 hours. I never would have guessed getting a run going into
EU on 20m during the wee hours.

10m was open from 11 am to 6 pm local time. I got 1385 QSOs on 10m but with
1300 QSOs and many mults on other bands I decided to post an all band effort.
Beat the previous record by over double.

Next up is a mult-op effort with WJ2O for sweeps CW at my QTH. Should be fun.

Thanks for the QSOs

Eric
VY1EI