[3830] CQWW SSB C6AQQ(N3IQ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nd3f@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB C6AQQ(N3IQ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 00:15:10 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: C6AQQ
Operator(s): N3IQ
Station: C6AQQ

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: love beach,n.p.
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:   25     4        3
   80:   45     6        6
   40:   91    10       19
   20:  414    23       43
   15:  209    11       12
   10:  197    17       25
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Sorry that I could not give out C6 to more folks.  Hurricane Sandy intervened.

Our flight was delayed 2 full days, leaving Baltimore at noon Saturday and
arriving here at 3pm. No problems with customs or baggage; the antenna bag and
the carefully packed bag with the K3, computer and peripherals made the trip
without problem (for once).  The wind in C6 was very fierce, and there was
extensive but not show-stopping storm damage--we were staying on the northwest
side of the island which was hit rather hard.  But, we had AC power when we
arrived and the area that I had planned to set up antennas was only partially
under water (with much debris from the storm surge).  So I set up minimally
with a goal of getting on the air by local 7pm (23 hours into the contest).  My
very patient XYL helped roll out coax and control cables and kept things from
blowing away.  Got vertical dipoles up for all bands (a 1/4 wave on 160M).  Did
not put out the passive directors. 80M tested poorly, but the rest of the bands
seemed ok, so I hit 10M and called CQ by 6pm or so...no answers at first so I
thought the station was not working.  But eventually got a decent run going on
20M until the power went out about 1 hour later.   I had batteries, but could
only run QRP, so I took time to fix the 80M antenna with no luck.  I settled on
on using the base for the 160M vertical and going out to the beach to swap it
for 80M.  It didn't work too well as the score shows. Could not hold a
frequency on any band QRP; it was pretty difficult with 100w.  Funny
thing--some very wise guys (you know who you are!) seem to have perfected a
strategy of looking for C6AQQ's running frequency and just taking it over.
With verticals and 100w I can continue to bray, but soon the rate falls to zero
and eventually I go elsewhere. Again, sorry folks.

The AC power was up and down Saturday evening, and I ran QRP for a couple of
hours (at 20w had about 3 hours of batteries when fully charged) and 100w (K3)
for a short time--the wind blew down some of the antennas, and it was very dark
so I just slept a bit.   In the early morning, under a nearly full moon after
some clearing (still quite windy with up to 50mph gusts), fixed the upper band
antennas, and worked a few guys QRP (the bands were very good, but few could
hear me). I put up the passive directors for 10-80 and then we walked to the
nearest bus stop and went into town for breakfast and bathrooms, and the power
came back on just before noon--only 8 hours left!

I tried to run, but could not hold a frequency on any band for more than 30
minutes or so.  A minor highlight was getting the short term rate meter well
above 400 for awhile several times--have never done that on CW--fun.

40M and 80M receive were very difficult and 160M was worse.  I had only about
15 KHz useful bandwidth on that band (1822-1837 or so) and could not get some
guys' attention. Again, sorry about that!  Now that the contest is over, I have
the antennas working better, but still cannot hear very well.  I hope it is not
a problem with the K3 that W8ZN loaned me!

Just before 7pm, the AC power went out again with a big pop.  I switched to
batteries as fast as I could (qrp again) but had lost my run freq (sorry Bill
N3RR--heard your call when the power went down).  Played around for a few
minutes and tried to make an 160M sked with W3LPL--but my QRP did not get
through.  So we decided to head into town for a meal before the town closed,
about 7:35 pm local...

Learned that SSB contesting is much harder than CW, but still rather fun.  Was
thrilled that some of the big multis found me somehow.

With the storm bearing down on my home QTH (the kids are there and safe as of
Monday night), we may get an extra day or two in the Bahamas...the calm after
the storm here is quite nice.

73!
Brian (N3IQ)/C6AQQ