[3830] CQWW SSB LA3S(LA3BO) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ls3bo@nrrl.no
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB LA3S(LA3BO) SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 12:22:44 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: LA3S
Operator(s): LA3BO
Station: LA3S

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JO59CC
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   52     3       23
   80:  173     7       38
   40:  156    11       50
   20:  304    27       67
   15:  406    25       70
   10:  512    26       79
------------------------------

Club: LA Contest Club

Comments:

What a difference from SAC some weeks ago! My goal was the LA record, and that
was achieved with good margin, thanks to the good conditions.

It has been some years since I have run a full 48 hrs contest as SO, and low
power is challenging in SSB. So had to take a few periods off.. The first night
I also struggeled with a windom antenna, so almost nobody heard me. I found out
when the daylight came that the balun was destroyed, and I had made the QSOs
with only one of the legs connected. Therefor I also had to do antenna repair
during the busiest hours.

I tried my new K3 for the first time, have only had it in a week, and it took
some time to get used to it. Also had some RF interference initially, which
were solved with better grounding. After that the rig worked flawlessly, and it
will probably mean that my trustworthy TS940 can be retired, or serve as 2nd
radio.

As usual when LP, almost only S/P, but with the extra receiver in the K3 I
could effectively search for new stations while calling others. It is not SO2R,
but at least SO1.5R :-). Had a few decent runs, thanks to the spotters.

It was also fun to work short skip (backscatter?) on 10 quite late on Sunday
evening, giving mults to a number of stations.

All in all, a memorable weekend. Thanks to all who answered my calls.

73,

Svein, LA3BO