[3830] CQWW SSB N5ZC SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, rmthorne@att.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5ZC SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:39:11 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N5ZC
Operator(s): N5ZC
Station: N5ZC

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: Texas
Operating Time (hrs): 33

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15: 1001    31      113
   10:
------------------------------
Total: 1001    31      113  Total Score = 364,464

Club:

Comments:

This was the first contest from the new qth/station.  The first tower went up in
March.  My station is in a steel shop I had put up while building the house. Its
insulated and has a small hvac unit to keep it warm or cool.  I also had 100amp
electric service installed, so I have plenty of power for the station.  Lots of
room and I don't bother the family, especially on ssb.

I went unassisted high power 15m.  My plan was to concentrate on 15m but I did
work all bands to shake down the station.  I did find a problem on 20m that I
need to resolve, I'm getting some sort of distortion on my audio via the Micro
Keyer II.  It appears to be some sort of grounding problem which I'll get
resolved.

The new antenna system is made up of a 77' Rohn 45g tower with phillystan guys.
 Its topped off with a F12 C31R tribander at 78' with a F12 D240 2 element 40 10
feet above it.

Soon after the antennas went up in March, I had an intermittent problem on 40m.
 When it got cold at night the antenna was attenuated, I suspected a short.  I
had a crane come over last week and as I suspected it was a bad balun, it was
all burned up where the pl-259 connected to the balun.  Not sure if it was a
bad balun or a bad install job of the pl-259.  I've never soldered at 88'
before, but the crane, bucket and excellent crew made it easy.

While the crane was there I finished installing my trusty F12 C3 on a swinging
gate side mount at 42'.  This antenna turned out just great. The plan was to
use it for the Caribean and Africa.  I could break any pileup with it, normally
with the first call.  The land to the SE of my qth quickly drops off into a
canyon so I think I'm getting excellent take off angles.

Bottom line I felt loud on all bands, even on the full size 80m delta loop.

I used an Elecraft K3, an AL-1200 that I recently purchase from my good friend
and contest elmer, K5NA, along with the usual accessories to make the station
play.

I'm looking forward to SS next month, let alone finally having my own station
for future contests.  A 2nd tower is planned for next year.