[3830] CQWW SSB DH8BQA SOSB/15 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, dh8bqa@necg.de
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB DH8BQA SOSB/15 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 01:51:10 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: DH8BQA
Operator(s): DH8BQA
Station: DH8BQA

Class: SOSB/15 HP
QTH: JO73ce
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  993    35      110
   10:
------------------------------

Club: Rhein Ruhr DX Association

Comments:

Just a few QSOs. My father passed away unexpectedly just 2 weeks ago so lots of
things to do and not a single thought about the contest the days before. We
burried him just on Friday before the contest. R.I.P. dad, you will be strongly
missed! :-(

Thought the contest would be a good opportunity to get some distraction from
real life facts but it did not really work out. So concentration was rather bad
and motivation not very high. Besides a lot of QRM and not much Ham Spirit with
stations starting CQing just a couple hundred hertz beside me. UA5B was the
worst with just 200 Hz away from me. He clearly wanted to rudly take over my
frequency and tried to ignore me. Sorry guy, you lost this one! Please go
re-read what Amateur Radio and Ham Spirit is all about! :-(

A big thank you to Heiko, DG1BHA, who helped to finish our new 6 ele OWA Yagi
on a 15 m boom just in time and put it up on our small VHF tower just for
testing in the contest (10 m high). The beam performed extremely well! Will
probably be even better on the new tower we wanted to errect but could not due
to the described circumstances above. So that project will have to wait until
next year now.

Spent about 10 hours on Saturday and 6 hours on Sunday. Sunday only S&P as I
disturbed Uwe, DL3BQA, who was going for a serious 10 m entry. Using band pass
filters we had no problems at all HF-wise but as soon as I turned the 15 m Yagi
towards USA it's dipole was just 10 m away from his shack and occassionally when
transmitting on 15 m his radio switched from SSB to CW in the middle of a QSO.
Seems some RFI into his CAT line. It even happened with 100 W. That will
probably be solved when the 15 m beam is on it's new mast then.

See you all in WWDX CW in 4 weeks. Quite sure I will be able to put in a better
performance then.

73, Olli - DH8BQA