[3830] CQWW SSB NP4Z M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, np4zet@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB NP4Z M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 17:15:47 -0700
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: NP4Z
Operator(s): NP4Z,N5TJ,NP3O
Station: NP4Z

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KP4
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   63     7       18
   80:  368    22       80
   40:  986    32      103
   20: 1636    37      129
   15: 1773    36      134
   10: 2627    36      136
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Well,this was not meant to be a Multi single, Jeff N5TJ was ready for an attempt
at the record of NA and a Top 5 worldwide position.. I guess that Murphy had
other plans for us.. There where some flags before the start, the power company
went on strike and power was a concern and I  had a lightning strike at the
station the week before. I had a generator ready in the case of loosing power.

 In top of that, Sandy was giving us huge thunderstorms and lighting was
everywhere on thurs and friday, we knew that the low bands would be a challenge
 with the storms.. It turned out that the central power system in SJ had suffer
by the strikes and was running on backup at the central generation location...
of course they overcharged and we lost power on saturday morning, no problem,
we fired the Generator and it ran for about 1 minute before turning off and
never again worked.

We had to rush to get a replacement generator that managed to get us back on
the air after a couple of hours, when we called the power company they said
that only administrative personnel where attending the emergencies due to the
strike and it was unlikely for us to get back on full grid  power soon.

After running low power with the smaller generator and a few hours without
operating it was evident that our mark was never going to be reached.. at that
point jeff said, lets not worry about this and lets run multi single, what
followed where a chain of bizarre events that made us really hate Murphy.. we
lost some of our switching equipment, two power supplies and we ended up
running on a battery car for our DC needs at the shack. This was certainly
beyond our control and we laughed about it..Jeff more than me.

Anyway, Jeff decide to rest  and I kept the operation with one man until around
mid day on sunday that our Friend Rene NP3O came by and I took Jeff to the
airport and the two of us finished proudly against all the tricks that murphy
threw at us for a decent ending.

Thanks to Jeff for being such a sports and taking everything so lightly and
relaxed.. We certainly had a great laughts before and during the contest.

Come on its the CQWW, just being active and showing up is a fantastic time..

73's and CU on CW..

Felipe
NP4Z