[3830] SS CW KT8K Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt8k@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] SS CW KT8K Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2012 19:36:36 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, CW

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: EN82ch SE Mich
Operating Time (hrs): 22:52

------------
  160:    0
   80:  143
   40:  218
   20:   95
   15:   56
   10:   17
------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Condx were VG, with periods of very low noise floor that made my smallish signal
apparently quite audible at times.  Thanks to all those who pulled me out of the
noise, though - I know it's hard, especially with a long exchange.

Unfortunately, hurricane Sandy broke my 550' loop about 80 feet from the house,
and even the 10:1 range autotuner that feeds it really can't get it tuned, so I
had the 20/40/80 inverted vee at 50' and the tribander driven element suspended
vertically around 60' to use.  They worked great, though - this is my 2nd best
score ever, and is in spite of back pain that sent me out of the chair quite a
few times in the last part of the contest.  Sitting in one spot concentrating
intensely can get painful after many hours.

I got so burned out that at one point I wasn't sure of my CW and had to ask for
repeats and read what was on the screen to be sure.  At other points I went
through the usual "why am I doing this?" and "was this supposed to be fun?",
but I hung in there more than most years, putting in almost 23 hrs.  Still, I
just couldn't reach a personal best.  I've had almost the same score 4 years in
a row and I'm starting to think I'm hitting the limit of what I can do with
wires in the trees and my hanging vertical 10-15-20 dipole.
I'm still dreamin' about that big tower ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWZjzrzgwA&feature=plcp

Hope to C U in the next one!  Best rx & 73 to all de kt8k - Tim