[3830] WAE RTTY WE4M(N2QT) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n2qt@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WAE RTTY WE4M(N2QT) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:53:58 -0800
                    WAE DX Contest, RTTY

Call: WE4M
Operator(s): N2QT
Station: N2QT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 33.5
Radios: SO2R

   80:  106   106     0   120
   40:  315   315   210   213
   20:  377   377   480   158
   15:  386   386   760   164
   10:  119   119   242   100
-------------------------------
Total: 1303  1303  1692   755  Total Score = 2,261,225

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Not sure if it was conditions or if I went to 10M too late, but compared to last
year I was down 210q's and 40 mults on 10M alone.  On Saturday evening it seemed
like I just ran out of stations to work so I quit early, putting in 2 hours or
so less than last year.  Score was down 16% as a result.

I did try SO3R this year, which proved to be the wrong thing to do for this
contest. With the time spent sending/receiving QTCs there just isn't enough
extra time to really use the third radio, in fact just running 2 radios is hard
enough.  That said I did end up with 7 more mults than last year, so perhaps
there was some payoff.

I swear N1MM Logger would periodically decide to send my CQ message on the
wrong radio.  However this was late in the contest and I'm not really sure
where the blame lies, as we were both were tired by then. I had one K3 shut
down unexpectedly, but thankfully no lasting ill effects.

This was also the first contest outing for the KX3 along side its bigger
brothers.  The KX3 did well running 5w to drive the amp to 100 out, and it had
no issues.  I don't think I missed any contacts due to using it instead of a
K3.  About 300 of the qsos were with the KX3.  The kx3 does have some rough
spots when used for RTTY contesting, but hopefully those are only a FW upgrade
away from resolution.

I did towards the end have some interlock issues so had to watch things
carefully to preserve the one at a time limitation.  This added to the work
load. Next year will be a 'normal' SO2R for this contest. There is a point were
adding more capability can detract from the score, and I'm sure I went past that
this year.

Radios Two Elecraft K3, Elecraft KX3  (external fans)
KT34A at 60 ft,
3 el Steppir at 48 ft
40M rotary dipole at  54 ft
shunt fed tower on  80 M, dipole at 55 ft

All qso's uploaded to LOTW, and hope yours are too!