[3830] SS SSB N6ZFO SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N6ZFO SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:30:16 -0800

------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
FT1000MP Mk V  150 W.
15m 3 el Yagi
40m DE Zepp

Comments:

The paucity of SF participation this year prompted a semi-serious effort, but
it was good that K3FIV, a neighbor of Jack's, N6YEU, AA6DX, KN6U and perhaps
others made some SF qso's. I had the pleasure of completing sweeps for quite a
few including, amazingly, one or two NCCC stations.

On Saturday afternoon I opted to join XYL and friends for a local winery visit
and dinner afterwards at a Thai restaurant.  So began the contest on 80m Sat
evening, where I accumulated 63 multipliers and experienced phenomenal
pileups.

Although I entered in Low Power Assisted Class ("UL")  my assistance consisted
of a brief qso with W6FB who suggested I move to 40m from 80m on Sat night (not
productive. . couldn't find any slot to call cq) and two on-the-air
conversations with internet/spotting guru K6III.   The Underwriters Laboratory
class doesn't have a score record for SF, so I decided to establish one. Of
course "section creep" makes past records less consistent with current ones.
After error deduction, the score will just about = my SF A category record from
2004, but that old score required almost double the operating hours.

About 500 of the 508 15m qso's were in single uninterrupted run on Sunday
afternoon on the same frequency. The average rate was almost 90 and I spoke the
phrase "CQ  SS" only three times during this marathon stretch.  Took several
opportunities to chat with, mainly, NS friends, in part to assure them that I
had not abandoned the low power category.  I am surprised that ARRL did not
create new "letters" for the UL and ML categories.

Virtually all stations worked were professional, competent and courteous.  Only
one station of the 900 did not know the exchange but was he was willing to be
talked through it.  Good to work lots of "S" stations including SD School of
Mines, Alabama Univ, Harvard and MIT, Hesston College and others.

73 Bill n6zfo