[3830] SS SSB N5WR(@K5WE) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, erikmartin44@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] SS SSB N5WR(@K5WE) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 10:30:59 -0800
                    ARRL Sweepstakes Contest, SSB

Call: N5WR
Operator(s): N5WR
Station: K5WE

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: OK
Operating Time (hrs): 20

------------
  160:
   80:  163
   40:  411
   20:  290
   15:  257
   10:   19
------------

Club:

Comments:

I got off work at 7am on the day of the contest, went home and slept about 4
hours, got up and had some coffee and made the 2 hour drive to my parents with
my daughter so that she could play with grandma and I could play on the radio.
In comparison to the CW contest, this time I did not set things up for SO2R,
and I did high power instead of low. With 3 minutes to go before the contest
started, I was still figuring out how to program the DVK on my dad's FT2000.
Got started a couple of minutes late, but figured out the DVK and had a good
opening hour on 15 meters. 20 meters was also good when I went there and had my
best hour at 98 at 00Z. Later on had some success running on 80 meters and the
band seemed quieter than the CW weekend, even had pretty easy copy with several
QRP stations, all on an inverted V at 50'. Went to bed with close to 800 QSOs.
Slept about 3 hours and got an early start on 40 until 20 and 15 opened. Rates
were slowing by late morning and I was really fighting with fatigue. I had to
operate standing up to stay awake. Lack of sleep over several days was catching
up and I took a 2 hour nap. Got on for a couple of more hours in the afternoon,
but just didn't really have the motivation to struggle through all the splatter
for the rest of the contest when I was barely working 30 an hour. Pulled the
plug with 4 hours to go so and went home.

In total about 15% of my checks were from 2000 and after. Worked more 00s than
my own decade (80s). I missed KP2 and NT for the sweep but I really did not S&P
very much. I don't operate phone much and several times I had to ask my dad what
the band edge was (does 10 meter phone start at 200 or 300? does 40 end at 300
or 350?). Maybe should look at one of those frequency charts before the next
phone contest. Next time need to try SO2R, which I still have not done yet on
SSB. Thanks for all the QSOs.

73, Erik N5WR