[3830] CQWW CW KX9X(@NN1N) SOSB/10 QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KX9X(@NN1N) SOSB/10 QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:09:58 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KX9X
Operator(s): KX9X
Station: NN1N

Class: SOSB/10 QRP
QTH: CT
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:  571    26      100
------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

When Dave NN1N invited me to share his station and do two single-band entries, I
told him, "I wanna do QRP." He scoffed. No way was he letting good antennas go
to waste with some paltry, 98-pound weakling of a category. He played his trump
card: "If you're gonna do QRP from my place, you're gonna do it with a REAL QRP
rig."

FB, OM.

I grabbed my FT-817ND and out to his place I went. After some homework, I set
my sights on the US 10QRP record.

Oh, if only there wasn't a flare. 4 QSOs Friday night, all locals. 0200z, I
hear K1KI working  JA's at 0200z. Dave hears South Americans on 15m over the
North Pole with auroral buzz. All fascinating  stuff... and I'm sitting on the
sidelines. Decided to get soem sleep and hit the ground running at 1100z.

The damage was done, though. No northern or eastern Europe Saturday. I worked
no zone 16 stations, and only one G. Tough sledding.  Being  a QRPer under
these conditions is like the scraggly dog going  from garbage can to garbage
can, looking for any leftover scraps. Once in a while you get lucky; I snagged
a lot of Africans Saturday morning with FB sigs.

Things settled a bit by afternoon. Best catch of the day was VK9/OG1M. Then the
band folded, and I went QRT.

Sunday... ahhh... running Eu. That's how it's supposed to be. Had a 96 hour,
followed by a 75 hour.

TI5A and VK4CT were my last mults. DXCC in a weekend on 10m QRP with a solar
flare. Spent a glorious 40 minutes calling VK8GM on 28.081 in the last hour. I
do believe that was the best time I've ever had with radio that didn't involve
making a QSO.

I gave the record a good run for the money, but fell short. If there wasn't a
flare... Oh well....maybe next time. At least I convinced Dave that QRP could
be fun: "I'm a believer now."

Many thanks to Carol, too.

Thanks for the QSOs.

Sean KX9X