[3830] CQWW CW KD9MS SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craigbradley700@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW KD9MS SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 19:53:16 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: KD9MS
Operator(s): KD9MS
Station: KD9MS

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: IL - EM57
Operating Time (hrs): 20.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   24    10       13
   80:   31    12       19
   40:   52    15       26
   20:   53    18       42
   15:  106    15       55
   10:   49    15       27
------------------------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

I have never gotten to work DX on 40 and 80 at the same time as working on 20
and even 15! This was awesome and except for the fact that everything over the
pole thismorning (Sunday) was distorted by auroral flutter, the bands felt like
they were in pretty good shape.  I do have to say that I don't really like the
packet cluster. I do my hunting on the bands, not with a gun in the fields
looking for deer. I came across Ri1ANF on 15M just as I was trying to read the
call right and right before I sent my call, he called CQ twice. Then it seemed
like the world came crashing in! I did get him, about an hour after I first
heard him when he must have gotten spotted. Low power and short towers cannot
compete even with this kind of propagation. Thanks to HK1NA for 6 bands! My 24
QSO's on 160 is really good I feel, but it pays to have a SO2R search and
pounce on the low bands to use both radios to "hunt". I don't read CW well on
the fly but I did manage a few QSO's trying to run at low power and only 22
wpm.  My FT990 was flaking out, it actually shutdown a couple of times when I
was transmitting, but I have to have it. The receiver is much more quiet than
my DSP FT-2000D No digital hash in it. Yaesu needs to put them side by side and
listen for a comparison. All in all, it was a lot of fun. I had to work most of
Saturday, 5 loads of LAUNDRY but my wife was running our 14 year old around,
and I had to DJ a wedding Saturday night, but I still got to participate! The
homebrew K9AY needs some work, no NW so I had to listen on the vertical wire.

73, Craig KD9MS