[3830] CQWW CW W3EF SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, W3EF@ARRL.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW W3EF SOAB LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 22:13:52 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: W3EF
Operator(s): W3EF
Station: W3EF

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 44
Radios: SO2R

  160:   19     6        9
   80:  169    18       57
   40:  711    28       94
   20:  544    34       94
   15:  679    33      101
   10:  471    27       88
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Congratulations to everyone who made it through this contest.  It was fun, but
it was also hard work.  My ears will probably never be the same.

The good news is, scores seem to be only about 10 percent down from last year.
Not bad, considering for example that I had more or less exactly half the number
of Qs on 10M this weekend that I had then--my claimed score is only down about
7%.  (I suppose the fact that things are down somewhat is also "good" news for
me, as I managed to stumble into a new USA LP record in 2011 and it looks
unlikely to be broken in 2012.  Well, certainly not by me - but N1UR has great
low band and 20M capability, so we'll see....)

About halfway through this contest I was about ready to pack it in, because of
exhaustion, band noise, relatively low rates, and various other small things I
won't gripe about here.  Instead, I took my one 3-hour nap about 2 hours early,
just after 0500z on Sunday morning.  Didn't really have a choice, because I was
barely functional at that point, but by sheer dumb luck I missed some low 40m
rates (the first night and last afternoon were much better) in favor of some
nice early morning mults on 40 and 80.

And given the Sunday rates on 10, 15, 20 and even 40, boy am I glad I stuck
with it!  Juicy DX abounded, and I managed to improve on my zone and country
scores for a best-ever mult total.  There's just nothing like the feeling of
finding those few extra double-mults in the final hour or two of the contest.
Seems they just kept showing up where I was looking for them.

It's great news that we will see the contest results much earlier -- getting
the entries in by the new deadline this week is a small price to pay.  Many
thanks to all who work on this contest, especially K3EST (enjoy your retirement
Bob!) and now K5ZD (nice start Randy...keep it up and good luck!).  And thanks
to all who went out of their way this year, whether with or without Murphy. A
special congratulations to the V26K operation for getting on the air after the
house burned down.  We don't know how good we have it sometimes....

73 and see you round the bands,

Maury W3EF