[3830] CQWW CW K3TN SOAB(A) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jpescatore@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K3TN SOAB(A) HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 03:12:21 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: K3TN
Operator(s): K3TN
Station: K3TN

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: 5
Operating Time (hrs): 16

  160:   31    10       21
   80:  109    17       56
   40:  233    23       78
   20:  323    26       93
   15:  331    31      102
   10:  191    20       72
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K3 to KPA-500 to 135' OCF at 45', 51' T for 160

I consider most of this a bonus 16 hours of fun - was supposed to be driving
back and forth to PA all three days but was able to squeeze in more time in the
shack than I thought. On Saturday I seemed to mostly get on when the openings
were marginal for a high angle station, but Sunday this were FB.

I put N1MM in SO2V mode using the K3 secondary receiver and a spotting feed
from the RBN, taking only spots from skimmers in MD, VA, WVA and PA. I call
this the "Power S&P" mode - right click on the top spot in the available mult
window, left click on the second, listen to both and switch focus to come back
to whichever one was ready first. I actually had a higher s

The problem with staying near the top of the available mult window is you run
into the big multis and top (A) stations doing the same thing, so I often was
workign the second spot first. I would also switch to just CTRL ARROWing down
the band (I find most people sweep up the band, this way I don't get in synch
with anyone), first for mults, then for new stations.

RBN spot quality was higher than last year, but on Sunday there is still
degradation as any busted call shows up as a new one. There were some calls
(HB9CA, G3XTT, PI4CC) that seemed to get consistently busted.

I woke up early Saturday am and 160 was in great shape, I was able to clear the
bandmap pretty quickly, getting through quickly to EU stations that usually I
can't work until the seoond night. Maybe EU 160 conditions were very long.

Thanks to Sol for just giving us a glancing blow and here's to hoping we get at
least one more year with conditions this good or better.