[3830] CQWW CW NP2N(W2VJN) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW NP2N(W2VJN) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 05:14:39 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: NP2N
Operator(s): W2VJN
Station: NP2N

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: St. Croix
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   75     9       22
   80:  424    21       72
   40: 1045    29       88
   20:  776    34       97
   15:  884    31       91
   10:  863    23       78
------------------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Wow, big fun on St. Croix!  Several months ago son-in-law and new ham, K7EUG,
said we should do a DX expedition.  He has some friends here and we chose it as
being an easy place to go.  We rented a nice house with a small station on a
hill in the middle of the island.  There is a small tri bander, A3, on a 30
foot crank up and a trapped dipole for 160, 80 and 40.  Itâ??s center is at 25
feet or so.  It is tuned for SSB and would not load at 3505 and 1825.  Adding
pig tails got it down to 1825, but nothing would help on 80, so we put up an
inverted vee on the other side of the tower.  That brought 80 up 10 dB or
more!

I carried my K3 down and we were set to go.  Brad doesnâ??t do CW and I donâ??t
do SSB, so the operating plan was simple.  I do the contest and Brad has all the
rest of the time here.  George, NP2N, the owner of the house was kind enough to
lend me his call and I was off to the races.  On 80 through 10 I was happily
surprised at how well this QTH plays.  Pile ups are easily broken to most areas
of the world.  Conditions and the low flux limited 10 meters and the antenna
limited 160.  I heard many Euros on 160, but only worked a couple.

Thanks to the many fine CW operators out there.  Iâ??ve been contesting for
longer than many of you have been alive and it still gives me chills when a
rare multiplier calls.

George, W2VJN