[3830] ARRL 160 W8FN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@tx.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W8FN Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 08:19:12 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 09:22

Total:  QSOs = 250  Sections = 63  Countries = 5  Total Score = 35,020

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

160 is a real grind if you have lousy antennas.

Adding the FCP to the Inverted L seems to have improved performance, but it's
still tough to work folks you can't hear. The Pixel loop performed nicely on
the Diversity receiver and helped a lot, but it's no substitute for a real
receive antenna. It seems I could (eventually) work most of the stations I
could hear, but never heard far too many. Such is life on a 0.2 acre city lot.

I just couldn't work into New England, and didn't even hear stations from that
area. Usually, the west coast guys are easily workable, but this time they were
few and far between. 30 dB QSB didn't seem to help. The guys with big stations
would probably disagree, but from my point of view conditions seemed pretty
poor. We'll see what the Stew Perry and CQ 160 tests bring.

73...
Randy, W8FN