[3830] ARRL 160 W4PK M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4pk@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W4PK M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:42:15 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4PK
Operator(s): W4PK
Station: W4PK

Class: M/S HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 16

Total:  QSOs = 767  Sections = 78  Countries = 22  Total Score = 163,900

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I had important functions I needed to attend to during the day Both Saturday and
Sunday so I did not stay up late either Friday or Saturday nights.

I used packet spots hence the M/S category.  However, I find them to be of
dubious value as often when I went to a spot it was bedlam with many calling!
On the other hand I did encounter some pileups when I was running, and it must
have been due to my call being spotted.

More than 80% of my Q's were when I was running.  I have 11 Beverage positions
I can select here and I was continuously having to send "AGN" while I switched
through them to find one that I could copy on.  I ended up combining my NE with
either NW or W Beverages while I was running, and switching one of them either
E, SE or SW if I thought there was a whisper of a caller.  I have two NE
1125-foot Beverages which I can phase in that direction and I did have several
Europeans call me when I was running.  Even with this arrangement copy was not
that great.  As far as I could tell propagation to Asia was non-existent.

I shunt-feed my 72-foot tower which has a Force-12 520-240 beam on top (36-foot
boom) and this provides plenty of top-loading capacity.  Also, there are about
60 radials buried around this tower.  I have been happy with this arrangement
as it has always performed well for me.  The amp I use is an ancient ACOM 2000A
(serial no. 137).

I did manage a contact with Hawaii but I could not hear KL, NB, NT or KP4, at
least when I was on.  But overall it was an enjoyable contest as CW speeds of
22-28 wpm were more in tune with my CW capability.

Thanks for all the Q's and especially thank you for putting up with my "AGN"
messages when I was switching between my Beverages to find one that I could
copy on.  Overall, I had fun!

73, Sam W4PK