[3830] ARRL 160 K9JWV Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K9JWV Single Op QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 08:10:04 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K9JWV
Operator(s): K9JWV
Station: K9JWV

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: Saint George UT
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 253  Sections = 59  Countries = 3  Total Score = 30,230

Club:

Comments:

Worked TONS of CAs from s/w Utah - a "chip shot," so to speak.  I almost,
ALMOST, worked PJ2T but he could only get bits and pieces of my
call....bummer.

I heard HI and JA stations but they were weak so I tried, some, but gave up
after a couple of minutes.  Did work a couple of AKs and one XE (XE2S always
booms in here) and some VEs (VE7, VE5, VE3 and VY2).  Worked into New England a
little - NH and CT (heard others but they weren't hearing me). Worked into
Northern FL, AR and LA - heard AL and MS but couldn't work them - all in all,
weird propagations was the best way to describe it all!

The ARRL 160 is a tuff one for us QRP types but, as a friend of mine, said, "I
wouldn't have it any other way."  Have redid my antenna system and now have q
43' vertical, three 25' top loading wires, LDG Z11ProII auto tuner at the base
with a 160 meter loadling coil that can be remotely switched in or out AND
fifty elevated radials - fifteen 50' east, fifteen 50' west, fifteen 25' north
and fifteen 25' south, that assymetrical arrangement is a result of the
topography surrounding the antenna location; the base of the vertical is at
about 5' above ground and the radials slope down to about 1' above the ground.

That new system works FIVERS on 160 through 10 meters, with the exception of 30
meters where the elevation angle of the radiated signal is about 60 degrees and
the Zo is about 4 ohms (tough for the Z11ProII to compensate for that).