[3830] ARRL 160 KV4FZ Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KV4FZ Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 15:21:48 -0800
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: USVI
Operating Time (hrs): 13.5

Total:  QSOs = 814  Sections = 79  Countries = 48  Total Score = 245,098

Club:

Comments:

Not a good contest for DX stations located in the US Territories.  Imagine for
this contest (who ever came up with such ridiculous rules) all the US
possessions which are DXCC entities in the entire Pacific region all count the
same as Hawaii. A similar thing exists in the Caribbean U.S. Territories where
the U.S. Virgin Islands is considered the same as KP1 or Navassa!  Puerto Rico
equal Desecheo and so on.  Stations like here in the VI and Puerto Rico are
just discouraged from participation as the rules make us compete with East
Coast big guns. With the endless CQ machines and those only interested in
working the next multiplier 500 miles away it was very difficult to hold any
frequency for long.  Even trying the DX window was hopeless except during some
short EU openings where I could null out the mainland CQ'ers with a pair of 900
foot Beverages.

My country total was good but even a score of nearly a quarter of a million
points will not even get me included on the SE section report.  So why bother?
Well this year i hope that those who would like to make this a more reasonable
and exciting contest just send an E mail to members of the CAC and request that
they request HQ (who makes all the decisions on this) to consider some
reasonable modifications that do not exclude U.S. Territories from being
considered as DX.  There should also be some consideration with stations West
of the Rocky Mountains that also are totally fed up with the structure of the
ARRL 160 Meter DX Contest...which really isn't a DX contest at all as in fact
it is very very difficult to work DX from much of the mainland.  So why don't
you take the time to help us out and make this a better event so more DX is
encourage to participate by sending an E mail to ARRL CAC members?

Thanks,

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ