[3830] ARRL 10 W4LT SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w4lt@ij.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W4LT SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 16:53:00 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: Tampa, FL
Operating Time (hrs): 12

   CW:  206    47
  SSB:  223    48
-------------------
Total:  429    95  Total Score = 120,650

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig : Elecraft K-Line (K3/KRX3/P3/KPA500)

Antennas : Cuschraft A3S @ 40ft

Soapbox :

Maiden voyage for brand new KPA500. Amp was born on Tuesday
and came alive on Thurday.  Installed on Friday right before
the contest.  Worked wonderfully even with a minor glitch
that Elecraft sent software to me for a fix.  Bravely
installed new software from the email and went on the air
for the Contest at 9pm.  Flawless from then on!

The amp, that is...

Band had issues this weekend.  The conditions can only be
described as dismal, and I had lots of family things to deal
with this weekend, plus pack for a trip out of town on
Monday, so spent all the time I could on this effort.

Crazy band! Point north west and get the CA QSO Party.
Point south and get the Argentina QSO party. Nobody from the
north east coast was copyable. QSB and signals were weird.
Stations were HUGE one minute, then faded to nothing the
next. Felt like a 6 meter contest most of the time!

While trolling for SA signals on the low end of the CW band
on Saturday morning, I came across BD7LMD blasting in at
1317 LONG PATH!  He was 20 over 9!  I was beaming Argentina!
Worked him then moved the beam to short path.  He
dissapeared!  Moved back to long path, 20 over again!  Gotta
hand it to 10 meters, full of surprises this weekend!

Can somebody tell the 10 Meter band that it is not 6 Meters
and that this is the top of the cycle?  I dont think it
knows!

Hope that everyone has a great Christmas and Happy New Year!
 See you in NAQP next year!

Lu - W4LT