[3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 NX5M M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 18:27:38 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M, KU5B, KJ5T, N5XJ, NW7DX, N5DUW
Station: NX5M

Class: M/S HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 33

   CW:  765   132
  SSB:  817   114
-------------------
Total: 1582   246  Total Score = 1,153,248

Club:

Comments:

This contest weekend started out with electrical issues both at the start and at
the end.  The electrical issue 30 minutes prior to the start was resolved at
2350z.  Mother nature provided her own electrical issue by pushing
thunderstorms upon us which shut us down for almost the entire last hour....and
hour that had really good rate potential.  We had to pull the plug with the rate
meter at 255.

Four new yagis were added in the last month or so on a second tower.  However,
about two hours in the antenna set on tower number one suddenly tripped the amp
with excessive reflected power.  Having put in the new antennas and a much more
complex switching system we were able to throw a switch and use only the new
antennas on tower two.  In the meantime, KU5B and I went on the chase to find
out what had gone wrong.  Of course it ended up being the last thing we
checked....a jumper that ran from the radio to the master relay switch.

Aside from burning up a bandpass filter, which I forgot to remove in my new
configuration, all else went well.  The added antennas worked very well.

Friday night started off pretty good.  Saturday was painful until the band
improved later in the evening.  Sunday morning was decent but the band fell off
again for several hours and did not rebound until around 2100z.  We were really
bothered that we had to shut it down due to the weather because based on the
2200z hour we should have added another 100+ qsos in the last hour.

The storm cell is still sitting almost on top of me so it has been ongoing
since 2300z and has hardly moved.

We had some fine food as always and a lot of conversation.  I even got to hear
KU5B and KJ5T sing "Fish Heads" in the shack.  They can get away with stuff
like that when the band is slow.

We had the same operating crew as last year consisting of KU5B, N5XJ, KJ5T,
NW7DX, N5DUW and myself.  N5DUW was dealing with some medical issues and was
unable to spend the whole weekend but persevered through his pain to log
several good hours in the chair on Saturday.  It is nice to have extra
operators so that we can rotate out and get plenty of rest and relaxation.

After so many years of doing this contest I am still amazed by some of the
openings that occur.  Gotta love 10 meters!

Thanks for all the qso's and to those who participated.

73
Bob NX5M +KU5B, N5XJ, KJ5T, NW7DX, N5DUW