[3830] ARRL 10 MW5A(GW4BLE) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve.gw4ble@btconnect.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 MW5A(GW4BLE) M/S HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 05:32:52 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: MW5A
Operator(s): GW4BLE
Station: GW4BLE

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Newport
Operating Time (hrs): 14

   CW:  162    63
  SSB:  166    43
-------------------
Total:  328   106  Total Score = 103,880

Club:

Comments:

This was loosely planned as a 'part-time fun multi single' activity by a few of
the Three As CG, as it turned out the rest of the team had to pull out due to
other commitments, and it became an even more 'part-time' single op (with
cluster) operation. I deliberately put more spots into the cluster, than I took
out,  hoping it might encourage casual operators to get on and make some Qs.

Both days, didn't get to the shack until 1000 GMT and also took time out for
about an hour or so lunch breaks, plus a few other 'pit stops'. Final QSO on
Saturday was at 1930, with just 142 Qs in the log.  The band probably had some
life in it, short-skip to parts of Europe, but it was time for me to pull the
plug....

Propagation had been 'interesting' the first day (read: challenging), with some
long-path to JA and thereabouts, but just a handful of USA contacts.

Sunday was better, with stronger long-path to JA, BY, XV and VK worked between
1130-1200, followed by a few weak W/VE and there were hopes the band might
start to really open to North America.  Unfortunaetly that wasn't the case,
those USA worked were sporadic and propagation was VERY selective. The only
East coast Q was into MA but for some reason several stations in the Nine and
Zero call area (CO, IA, NE, SD etc...) were very strong, also a single VE4 in
MB.  It's fascinating to theorise how propagation works sometimes.

Following a good number of South Americans in the log, and again what appeared
to be Es propation into Europe, I finished up with the final Q at 1853.

Thanks to web guru MW0MWZ, audio from the weekend has been uploaded to my logs
site at http://www.gw4ble.dxlist.co.uk

If you do access the site, be aware the playback time  can be changed from the
default - see instructions on the opening page.

All QSLs via G3TXF

Thanks for the contacts and MERRY CHRISTMAS

73

Steve
GW4BLE (aka MW5A)