[3830] ARRL 10 W0ETT SO Mixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w0ett@msn.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W0ETT SO Mixed LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 09:20:14 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W0ETT
Operator(s): W0ETT
Station: W0ETT

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: co
Operating Time (hrs): 15:33

   CW:  209    77
  SSB:   46    24
-------------------
Total:  255   101  Total Score = 93,728

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Not the best conditions but still an interesting contest from my perspective.

Saturday morning, mostly SA and Carribean along with some east coast W1/VE1,
pleased to wk one NY and VA;  logged some W6s, N9RV MT, N7TR NV and AZ to the
west.  Did QSO with CE1/K7CA, ZS1EL, D4C, ZL and VK in midday for long distance
DX.  Late afternoon, wkd many locals when it got quiet.  I was almost ready to
turn off the radio at dinner time and go watch TV when KE9I popped in cqing S9.
 Several other 9s in WI soon appeared which was the beginning of a 2 1/2 hour Es
opening to the east;  logged many states and VE1, VO1, and VE3.  Got Fred, KH7Y
and ZL1BYH towards the end of the opening.  -  On Sunday, it started out with
the SA and Carribean stations building up with S9 sigs and shortly afterwards
we had a decent Es opening to the east coast especially to W1 with 8,9, and a
few 4s peaking up later;  midday had some limited openings to W6 and other
western states.  Later, I was working some of the the weak signals in nearby
states to the east when a loud station started to interfere;  I moved down to
check it out and it was MM0AMW pounding in s9!  Wkd him quickly, and then GM3W
thinking I was lucky.  About half hour later started to hear other EU CQing,
and was able to log multiple stations in F, I, ON, EA;  an hour later TK; heard
V51CYJ peak about 10 over 9 for half an hour but could not break the E.C.
pileup.  Later in midday, I logged EA8CN who appeared out of thin air and soon
disappeared.  Also, in the early afternoon also logged 3 KL7s, 4 VKs, 3 ZLs,
and somehow worked NWT/VE8 with S9 sig - he said it was 35 degrees below zero
Celcius!  Missed out on working VE5UF SK - just couldn't hear me calling.

At times, this contest seemed like a part time DX contest along with a mix of a
June VHF contest with its sometimes loud Es opening to the east, and dirt water
weak signals to nearby states in the east and west.  Sometimes had to turn the
yagi all around to peak signals on backscatter;  wkd many of these signals
barely moving the meter off the back of the beam.  Took quite awhile to work
N0NI in IA but later heard him peaking S5;  was pleased to QSO K0HA NE and
Bruce K0BJ KS for mults;  heard KD0S SD but nil on QSO.  Overall, I enjoyed the
contest which gave me the opportunity to put my HF dx contesting and VHF
contesting experiences to work!

Missed the Friday evening opening of the test due to a Christmas party at my
mother's assisted living center, and again the last three hours Sunday due to a
Christmas service at church.

73 Ken, W0ETT
Parker, CO

Rig:  IC756pro3 to HF yagis