[3830] ARRL 10 W8AV SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8av@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 W8AV SO CW HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 06:48:29 -0800
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): W8AV
Station: W8AV

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Ohio
Operating Time (hrs): 21:26

   CW:  641   120
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  641   120  Total Score = 307,680

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions not the greatest, I've ever experienced for this contest.  Very few
Europeans answered my CQ on the first day, most were worked skew path via S&P.
With a higher solar flux on Day 2, there were a few more EU stations that
answered my CQ on the normal short path and a few more made it into the log.
Despite conditions, did manage to get 59 countries in the log.

The long path opening to JA, BY, and XV was incredible both days although I
could not crack the pileup to the XV.

It was a plesant surprise to work 7P8CC well after his sunset as well as RM1Z
well after his sunset as well.  Both stations were incredibly loud.  Was
disappointed with the openings to the Caribbean.  Listened for VP5CW, C6AKQ,
and V31NO many time before finally snagging them.  The same goes for the Alaska
stations.  I had to look and look before working my first one and after snagging
him got about 5 more in the log.  Missed VE4 and heard VY1 only once but never
worked him.

Despite poor conditions, the contest was still fun and I plan to be back doing
CW only again next year.