[3830] RAC Winter VE9AA SOSB/20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve9aa@nbnet.nb.ca
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE9AA SOSB/20 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 15:04:58 -0800
                    RAC Winter Contest

Call: VE9AA
Operator(s): VE9AA
Station: VE9AA

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: nb
Operating Time (hrs): 13

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  478    411      10        11
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
Total:  478    411      10        11  Total Score = 74,844

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

I apologize up front for anyone I left hanging. I have a new very bad noise in
the neighbourhood that is a sizzling/crackling s2-s9
 which is on about 2/3 of the time. (furnace?)  No amount of NB or filtration
does any good.
When it's full bore I can barely hear the really loud guys.
  When it's off, I can usually even pull out the QRP guys.

As usual, this is a lazy to medium paced fun contest, but there were lots of
folks to work during the middle of the day.

Doing single band meant it got a lot slower later on.  Still had fun.  The 2
funniest QSO's were VE3EJ who was a bazillion over s9 on SSB.
I replied something like "Geez John, I can barely hear you" and he replied
along the same lines.  It got me laughing I barely was
able to complete the next 2 or 3 Q's.  Then later my old friend VY0HL called in
with a silly fake accent of some kind and got me laughing
all over again.  We then proceeded to chat for 5 to 10 minutes.  This is one
contest I don't take too seriously so when on phone I generally
like to say hi and thank folks for all the Q's in the previous year and wish
them HNY !

Radio: Very old IC-746 250/500Hz CW filters
SSB: VK-64 Voice keyer, Heil headset.
CW: WinKeyer USB
Software: N1MM
Antenna: Measely wire ground plane hanging off a tree limb, base @ 14'. (just 2