[3830] TBDC K7IA Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k7iaham@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K7IA Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 11:44:40 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 5:58

Total:  QSOs = 276  Total Score = 1,226

Club:

Comments:

Mr. Upper Respiratory Tract Infection paid a visit on Friday evening and knocked
the pins out from under me quickly.  Both the RAC and SP yielded to frequent
naps in the sack.

New since last year's SP:  a shunt fed 92 foot tower replaced the 160m vee, and
the beginnings of a Beverage Ranch were laid out and completed a week ago.  Two
bidirectional Bev wires point towards EU and JA and reciprocals.  The books
state that "uneven terrain" offers little degradation in performance, compared
to flat terrain;  however, the terrain here is better described as "rough,"
with two rather deep draws that the EU Bev cross.  That, plus the canyon
location are probably responsible for what appears to be broad and multiple Rx
lobes (example: there is occasionally no difference between signals received on
the EU and JA directions).  Canyon terrain must affect incoming wave angles
here.  In any event, I heard and worked more weak signals than ever before, I
exceeded last year's Q-count and score in less op time, and I have a short list
of modifications to make on at least the EU Bev wire run.  Many thanks to Milt,
N5IA, my 160m Elmer!

I heard no EU stations and worked only a handful of JA stations, so it will be
interesting to see how other 5th call area ops did.  Best DX:  CE1/K7CA, but
with his setup, anyone with a coat hanger antenna can work him!

My apologies to the several ops that despite all efforts and all Bev switch
positions, diversity Rx, and listening with stuffy ears, I simply couldn't pull
out either your callsigns or grid squares.  Thank you for your patience!

73, dan k7ia