[3830] TBDC WF7T Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, brad.wf7t@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC WF7T Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 16:24:53 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: WF7T
Operator(s): WF7T
Station: WF7T

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 316  Total Score = 1,263

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

I missed the Big Stew last year so I made sure to devote as full an effort as
possible. B.I.C. was goal one. goal two was to make more Qs over my 2010
effort. I like attainable goals!

I have been non-plussed by my old inverted U antenna so I decided to use my
trusty G5RV (again) as a Marconi. I have 1500 ft of radials in the yard, and
two 1/4 wave raised radials snaked on the lot. I am not sure of the
effectiveness of my ground implementation but it seems to be OK for now.  I
also took some galvanized fencing and made a little ground mat; about 30 ft
long or so. Ignorance is bliss. With a little auto-tuner at the base I found an
SWR I could live with.

I also managed to get the G5RV into the trees a little bit higher, maybe 40
feet or so.

My little half derriere'ed receiving loop; now there was a disappointment.
Lesson learned from this contest is to work on the RX side first, then bother
with the TX. The loop was too close to the house and non-rotatable. I thought
it was pointed toward EU, but I didn't hear any this outing. It must have been
pointed fine since the W3s were booming in. Then again, I can hear those W3s in
my tooth fillings. I had plans to revamp the RX side but I poorly managed my
pre-contest time.

Thus I start my never-ending (and apparently none too lonely) quest for a
usable low-band RX antenna that will work on my puny little in-city lot.

I was no speed demon but did manage some fun rates for several 1/2 hour periods
throughout the contest. Worked 139 grids or so, and finally managed to complete
a Q with CE1/K7CA around 0725z peaking very loudly while RX on my Marconi.
Exciting!

It was wonderful to hear many calls friendly and familiar during the contest. I
appreciate each contact. Many thanks to the club and all those who work to make
this such a great event.

Wishing everyone a healthy and prosperous New Year.

73 Brad WF7T
Nashville, TN

---

IC-7600 & IC-756Pro2 @ 100w
Marconi-ed G5RV @ 40-ish feet (for reals)
RX loop ala-KC2TX but very shoddily built
N1MM v12.12.2, YCCC SO2R+

Every 25Qs beyond 100 I got a reward: A dark-chocolate covered espresso bean.