[3830] TBDC W1NN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC W1NN Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:34:29 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 7

Total:  QSOs = 307  Total Score = 1,638

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Remote from Tokyo much like last year.  I am using a full-size dipole this year
compared with a shortened G5RV last year, but it is only about 40 feet high in
the middle, so it can only do so much.  For a remote station in Japan, this
contest mostly takes place during the day so you don't have to stay up all
night, but we had to take visitors out to lunch and again sightseeing in the
middle of the afternoon so I missed the European sunrise and some other good
operating time.

The band seemed very quiet at my QTH.  Conditions seemed much better than in
the ARRL 160 contest.  Worked EI, G, GM and F but didn't hear much other EU
while I was on.  Finally got CE1/K7CA to hear me.  I have tried to work him
many times in the past but it was always fruitless.  He must have one great
receiving antenna and fantastic ears.  Made it through to KH6ZM but KL7RA was
too weak to even bother calling.

The west coast was really loud from Ohio and I think I worked 20-30 sixes and
sevens.  In ARRL 160 I think only 2-3 stations could hear me.

I love this format.  It's very interesting watching the grids fill up in the
Win-Test grid map and seeing where the stations you are working are located.

Thanks to the Boring ARC and Tree for all the work and support.

Happy New Year to all!

Hal W1NN