[3830] TBDC PC5A(@PI4TUE) Multi-Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, pc5a@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] TBDC PC5A(@PI4TUE) Multi-Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 07:18:54 -0800
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: PC5A
Operator(s): PC5A
Station: PI4TUE

Class: Multi-Op LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 306  Total Score = 1,588

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Setup
TRX:       TenTec Orion I barefoot (JO21RK)
TX Ant:    sloping 1/4 wave vertical with feedpoint at ~210FT (65M)
Remote RX: K2 (JO21VF) controlled by HamRadioDeLuxe (HRD) and Murmur/Mumble for
audio transport
RX Ant:    5M tall matched vertical
SW:        N1MM

Because of a connection to RBN I entered the Multi Single category, as last
year. Since I believe the TX antennas perform above average I ran again with
100W. Not starting at sunset proved to be a good choice, hardly anyone worked
distant stations from the far-east and Asia at or right after sunset. Luckily
Rens-PA3FGA managed to get the remote RX setup up and running a couple of days
before the contest; a K2 and a 5 meter tall matched vertical for 160m literally
in the middle of nowhere, about 35km S-SE from the TX station at PI4TUE. The
audio was transported by Murmur/Mumble which has a very small latency. To
remotely change and set the QRG on the K2 HRD was used. It was the same proven
setup as in 2011.

The first QSO was logged at 17:39Z. The first hours passed with the highest
hourly rate of 42 between 18-19Z. In the next hour LO88 square was worked,
which would remain the furthest for the evening towards the east. The lowest
rate was 8 between 02 and 03Z.  The first US station I could hear was W1UE just
before 21:30Z but it would take several hours before working him since he seemed
to have some difficulties with RX (I heard many EUâ??s calling him). The first
US station that called me was K3ZM, just minutes after I had heard W1UE, good
ears and or my TX antenna and 100W was loud enough. ODX worked was Dietmar-V55V
from Namibia on the second time I heard him that evening. He was not as strong
as ZS6EZ but I could not make it to ZS unfortunately. ODX heard was without
doubt K7CA in Chili. He was real Q5 copy for quite some time but the 100W just
couldnâ??t break through his QRM / QRN / US stations. It was frustrating
hearing him CQ all the time while many were calling him. Amazing what you can
hear on a short vertical. There were a lot of US stations spotted on RBN but
most were not audible. In total 21 US and 3 VE stations made it into the log.
The furthest  away were N0NI, N4RJ, followed by K1LT and the very last QSO of
this contest WB9Z at sunrise.

Although sending a 5nn is not required in this contest I noticed that under
poor conditions I was able to copy the locator better when it was preceded by
the report since it acts as a kind of alert â??pay attention, now the important
part will followâ??.

I finished the contest with about 10% more QSOâ??s  10% higher score than 2011
but was a bit disappointed not to have heard nor worked any long haul DX like
Japan or VK.

For those that are interested I have audio clippings of each QSO.

CU all in CQ160M from ON9CC.

73
-- Aurelio, PC5A