[3830] NAQP SSB WE9V Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB WE9V Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2013 08:25:01 -0800
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: WE9V
Operator(s): WE9V
Station: WE9V

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 10
Radios: SO2R

  160:   72    27
   80:  265    53
   40:  315    52
   20:  425    50
   15:  103    25
   10:   88    16
-------------------
Total: 1268   223  Total Score = 282,764

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Team: Dead Lizards Can't Talk

Comments:

"That was fun!  Let's do it again!"  Didn't think I was
going to do all 10 hours, but was having such a good time
that I kept going.

A personal best for QSOs, but 2400 points (<1%) short of
my best score.  Great participation, but I didn't pass nearly
anyone (7 Qs).  Shame on me.

I actually started the contest late because of some external
issues with the XXYL, and it was part of the deal that I had
to help her in order to get access to the station.  I'm not
moving back in until next week, so had to keep up my end of
the deal.  The shack computer bit the dust over a year ago,
and the new replacement computer doesn't have COM ports,
a decent soundcard for Writelog DVK, etc.  Wasn't that much
of an issue for CW weekend.  Dug out the old manual SO2R
switchbox from 10 years ago, and also dug out an old laptop
that still has a COM port.  The COM port is necessary for
controlling the W5XD SO2R box (headphone switching), as a
USB-to-COM port adapter does not work for this application.
Started the contest and decided that no DVK was not for me.
So 20 minutes into the contest I took an off time to try to
jerry rig something with the sound card.  Long story short,
I got something working so I had DVK and SO2R microphone
switching.

Back at it, 10 and 15 seemed to stink more than usual.  10M
was only open to a few states and passes of ID, MT, UT didn't
work at all.  20M was awesome.  Was also surprised to find
an opening at 01z-02z that was a little short to W4.

Low bands started out better than expected, but at 9pm, a
wind storm came through with a gust of 66 MPH recorded on
the tower.  Those high winds must have caused one of the
power lines/pole to develop a larger problem than normal.
I usually have S8-S9 line noice, but it was spiking to S9+20
and then eventually was a constant S9+20.  Qs on 80 was
tough, and 160 virtually impossible.  I took one remaining
30 minute off time hoping it would go away, but to no
avail.  Once I move back in, I need to start tackling the
line noise problem again.

Good to "see" you guys again after my forced hiatus.

Chad WE9V
http://www.we9v.com