[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KC9BQA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KC9BQA Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 08:41:42 -0800

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  128    74  Total Score = 16,132

Club: Badger Contesters

Comments:

Worst prop and overall conditions in the 10 years I've been V/U contesting.  The
noise, high wind, plus the increasing cold later Saturday and Sunday all made
this January very tough.  Good thing 6 opened up some on both evenings.

   Plenty of positives, though.  Heard many SSB'ers talking about and using the
3-band category.  This new category is a winner.  There was widespread FM
activity in the Milwaukee and especially Chicago areas.  Dozens of FM'ers on.
Can we get some of them on SSB/CW someday?  Sure hope so.

   VHF'ers -- SPREAD THE WORD about these new categories to Joe/Jane Q. Ham.
Start doing it now and you'll have new ones on board by the spring/summer
sprints and contests.

   Contest activity has been declining (to put it mildly) in/near WI for 3
years now.  Especially in 2011 and 2012.  But this weekend, I heard encouraging
activity from WI.  Even with the lousy bands, I know of at least 27 WI signals
that were on the air.  Just on the SSB side.  Plus a fair # of these VHF'ers
were on for many hours -- not just dabbling.

   Thanks to W9FZ/R for going out and activating 7 grids, right to the bitter
cold end up in EN55/65 on Sunday night.

   Been doing my V/UHF blog kc9bqa.com for nearly 4 years now.  The focus is on
actively promoting more on-air activity.  Made a number of updates the past few
weeks.  The hope is that you can put some of my enthusiasm to work in your own
region.

   73,
   Todd   KC9BQA   EN63ao   40 N of Milwaukee
   www.kc9bqa.com  For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
   www.wivuch.com  WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award