[3830] CQ160 CW SE0X(SM0MDG) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, bjorn@sm0mdg.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW SE0X(SM0MDG) Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 15:29:55 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: SE0X
Operator(s): SM0MDG
Station: SE0X

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Stockholm
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 826  State/Prov = 3  Countries = 50  Total Score = 222,759

Club:

Comments:

I decided to try low power in CQ160 CW for the first time. I didn't know what to
expect, but was prepared to spend lot of time with S&P in the QRM.

To my surprise I hit off running with a nice pace on Friday evening, but then
everything slowed down on Saturday. The rate was miserable and all hope of a
respectable score went out the window. But something happened Saturday evening
at 2100 when the band woke up again, and during the following two hours I was
able to catch up everything lost during the day. I was again ahead of my plan
and was feeling great. Then at midnight it all came to a halt and Sunday was
tremendously slow. I guess by then I had already worked most of the stations
that I could reach with my low power setup, and the only action on Sunday where
casual contesters and a few DX. The only joy on Sunday where a few needed
multipliers found through S&P.

I didn't expect to log much DX, but to my surprise I did work some nice ones
including JA, FM, and a very few NA. The most memorable contacts where logging
EY8MM using only 10 watts (SM power restriction above 1850 kHz) and breaking
through a dense pileup of HP stations fighting to get through to AB65BP (thats
a guy with good ears).

The result is just a few points below the current SM record (well 4k below). I
worked more contacts but came in a little low on multipliers. With most of
active EU countries covered, the difference would be to snag a few more states.