[3830] CQ160 CW W5JR Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w5jr@bellsouth.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W5JR Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 01:20:46 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: W5JR
Operator(s): W5JR
Station: W5JR

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 19.3

Total:  QSOs = 740  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 33  Total Score = 179,691

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Well, that was fun!  The station played well and the band was amazingly quiet
both nights although EU was not very strong here the first night.  Much better
on the second night and worked everyone I could hear, doubling last year's
country count.  Used my 40m vertical loop for the receive antenna and it worked
much better for RX than the TX antenna.  Real RX antennas ought to work even
better next season!! Passed up the KL7 first night (huge pileup) expecting to
get one later or the second night.  Never heard or saw a spot again.  It was
the only "state" missed as KK0SD answered my CQ Sunday morning to complete the
lower 48 sweep - THANKS!!!  Worked 8 Provinces.  Not sure how many were
represented, but I worked all I heard or saw spotted.  Was not available for
local sunset either night and may have missed a few countries but doubtful.
Almost the same BIS as last year (19 vs 18 hours), a few more Q's (740 vs 706 -
an "hour's" worth!), nearly equal ST/P count (56 vs 54) but double the country
count (33 vs 17) and thus 70k more points this year.  I did add one NEW country
to my count - gotta love that!

During the boredom of calling CQ the second night after EU sunrise, I began
playing with SO2V in N1MM.  Quite a bit more complicated than SO2R, but I did
manage to make a few extra Q's using it.  It is particularly useful if
operating assisted.  Allowed me to "queue" a workable spot to the second VFO,
check that Op's sequencing during my RX time and quickly work them if the
timing was right, then get back to CQ'ing on the other VFO. Kind of like having
my own in band "multiplier station".  But that non-stero dual reciving and
keeping the proper VFO focus correct is a challenge to manage (and learn
*during* the contest).  I'll be using that again in single band contests when
the running gets slow. My crude, manual, low tech SO2R (a "vintage" IC-735!) is
obviously better for multiband contests.

See everyone next month in the ARRL.

Icom 756ProII (now using SO2V!), Alpha 78, TX - Inv L, RX - 40m vert loop,
N1MM, ample supply of Diet Cherry Dr Pepper