[3830] CQ160 CW K5AF Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW K5AF Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2013 13:32:48 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: TX EL09
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

Total:  QSOs = 209  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 14  Total Score = 36,168

Club:

Comments:

Conditions in South Texas were dynamic....that is a polite way of saying that
this weekend was a propagation roller coaster.  I'd have periods when every
station called would come back immediately, and other periods when it seemed
like everyone CQed in my face!  Nonetheless, I only missed ND for a
"continental" WAS, KL7 and KH6 were never heard.  DX was better than most
previous efforts.

OBSERVATIONS:

1.  The FCP is for real.  How else could I explain the performance of such a
marginal antenna?  My inverted L extends only 25' vertically above the FCP and
runs horizontal for 50'across my back yard and then between two 30'+ high
two_story houses, then zig zags its way down to 6' above ground.  Despite the
up and down propagation, this antenna really performed!  I worked 12 Europeans,
several on the first call.

2.  K2AV makes the point that you cannot overbuild antennas or antenna
components for 160M. His design for the FCP calls for heavy-duty conductors and
transformer materials, and they make a difference!  In comparing my low dipole
with the L, I found on RBN that the L was consistently 3-5 dB better than the L
on paths 1000 miles out or greater.  By strengthening materials for the dipole
(larger conductor size on the feeders, and more robust parts in the tuner) I
was able to close the performance gap with inverted L by about 2dB.  I did find
certain paths where the dipole became the antenna of choice, CE1/K7CA being one
example.

3. Finally, these small improvements matter! A dB or two might just get you
above the noise level at some distant point in the world.  I know my
improvements have seemed only marginal over the years, but I can sense the
overall performance improving.  Given the increased activity on Top Band over
the years, that is a real plus.

For a very casual effort, CQ160 was a great ride this year!   Paul, K5AF