[3830] CQ160 CW VA2WA(VA2WDQ) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VA2WA(VA2WDQ) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 15:11:50 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: VA2WA
Operator(s): VA2WDQ
Station: VA2WDQ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: nr.Drummondville
Operating Time (hrs): 20:45

Total:  QSOs = 873  State/Prov = 56  Countries = 40  Total Score = 446,592

Club: Contest Group du Quebec

Comments:

TS-590S + AL-1200 (1.3 kW)
ANT: 16.5m top loaded Vertical

That was first contest experience from the new location in a small village near
Drummondville. That was a nice try but I didn't get full time participation. I
took a day off on Friday and started my vertical installation at noon. Got it
installed only around 19:30 local time. So I missed 2.5 hours in the very
beginning. I need to remove few treas to make a space for the vertical. My land
is very wooded by toll trees. After 6 hours of hard work outside (the temp was
-16-18C ) I got tiered and felt to sleep at 4:30 in the first day and right
after 1:00 on the second ))). The first day installation was not complete
because top loaded wires got hanged on a nearest trees. So I left it
temporarily for the first night and put the vertical down and re-install it on
the next day. As you see I have almost 10 hours missed. So I consider that as a
part-time testing participation.

Unfortunately DX propagation was not good. Later I check up from my Android
phone the Solar-Terrestrial Data from the CGQ site and found on Friday and
Saturday there were 2 high latitude magnetic storms right in the EU window
time. So I can't evaluate how good is the new set up ((( Anyway that's
obviously a big improvement comparing to what I have at home. The air is
amazing there!! The 160 m band noise is the only around 2-3 S-units without
Attenuation! I can hear well on my vertical many EU stations CQ-ing in a row
right under NA stations! So I decided not to spend time on a 300 meters BV
antenna installation since I found I could hear better compare to EU stations
didn't hear well my "modest" 1.3 kW signal!

The best DX was ZS6EZ who called me with a really loud signal could be compared
to a local NA station.

Thank you for all the QSO's!

73!

Victor