[3830] BC QSO VA7ST Single OpCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] BC QSO VA7ST Single OpCW LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 12:10:37 -0800
                    British Columbia QSO Party

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single OpCW LP
QTH: KEL
Operating Time (hrs): 2

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:   20                     15
   15:
   10:
Total:   20     0       0       15         0         0  Total Score = 1,200

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

I know the word got out far and wide about the BC QSO Party, so I had hopes of
much improved CW participation. Alas, it was very, very slow for CW ops -- a
paltry three contacts in my first 45 minutes led to an early break. Five
contacts during my second attempt to work the QSO party indicated there wasn't
much sense bleating CQs with big fun to be hand in the XE RTTY test going full
tilt just up the band.

Got back on for a third try shortly before 0000z and in a span of six minutes
added 12 of my 20 total contacts for the day. Then the NA Sprint started. Game
over for BCQP on CW.

NA Sprint always needs BC, and supply is usually non-existent. So, when Jim
N3BB stopped in for the BCQP contact as the clock turned to 0000z and asked for
Sprint exchange, I was very pleased to provide. The Sprint start had crept up on
me and I had no plan in place to react to that.

I should have looked at this as a super opportunity to land 200 or more extra
Qs, not as a barrier to continuing in the BCQP. But I wasn't ready for the
instant pileup that followed. Nor was I in a frame of mind to change gears for
the QSY leapfrogging required of a proper NA Sprint participant. Parking on one
frequency in that hyperbowl of Sprint activity on 20M would have been unfair to
real Sprinters, and would have landed me in checklog status for the Sprint.
Perhaps someone else from BC stayed with the fray.

In retrospect, I could have applied sprint QSOs to my BCQP totals and offered
the BC mult to the masses; however, including the BCQP's "KEL" county
multiplier on my end would have confused a great many -- the tightly defined
exchange pattern for the Sprint means these two events are not readily
compatible.

Hmmm. Unless I used "KEL" as my name in the Sprint. Being such a creature of
habit, didn't I think of that at the time. Must have been half asleep from my
time drifting in the doldrums.

The collision with NA Sprint means CW operation for the final third of the BCQP
is an issue -- essentially, I'd have been in a different event, not the BCQP. I
saw some big, big totals from the Phone operators. Big rate means big fun. But
this weekend that involved a microphone, not a key.

Thanks to the Orca DX and Contest Club -- especially Rebecca VA7BEC -- for the
many hours of hard work that goes into organizing the event and post-event log
checking. Hoping the Q totals and operator participation are both up from last
year when Orca became the sponsoring club.

73 and see everyone in CQ WPX RTTY!

-- Bud VA7ST