[3830] ARRLDX CW N5DO SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5do@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N5DO SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 07:14:07 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   10     9
   80:   98    60
   40:  259    89
   20:  324    88
   15:  380    95
   10:  292    80
-------------------
Total: 1363   421  Total Score = 1,721,469

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Amazing conditions on 80M Friday night.  My QTH in West Texas is in the northern
Chihuahuan Desert.  The elevation is pretty good (4500 ft), but it is difficult
to get height above ground.  There are few trees, in fact No Trees, Texas is in
our general vicinity.  What there is a lot of is wide open space.  Unfortunately
that space costs money, so I live on a typical city lot (even though there are
only 6,000 people in this community).  The upshot of all this is that I have
one 50 foot tower in the backyard with a SteppIR DB-18 at about 54 feet for 40
- 10 and an 80M inverted vee with an apex at 49 feet.

80M is usually pretty slim in DX contests.  Experience has taught that
conditions to Europe are best from midnight to one a.m.  Around 11 pm I moved
to 80 to check conditions -- I was amazed!  The band was full of EU stations
that I could hear!  They were not loud, but they were readable -- and they
generally copied me on one call!  Great fun while it lasted.

Sunday morning I moved through 15M and then arrived late at the feeding frenzy
on 10M.  Super loud European stations, but they were not workable (by me) with
one call.  I had forgotten about the "East Coast Curtain," and usually had to
call several times to break through.  The European stations were super loud and
often had a mult of 100.  I was aware that if 100 watt stations were able to run
from EU I could probably run as well, but I was distracted by all the juicy
mults available and didn't run until near the end of the opening.

Those two openings really made the contest for me!

73,

Dave