[3830] ARRLDX CW N8BJQ SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sbolia@woh.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N8BJQ SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:19:42 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N8BJQ
Operator(s): N8BJQ
Station: N8BJQ

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 36

  160:   35    29
   80:  186    77
   40:  393    96
   20:  618   107
   15:  647   107
   10:  451    89
-------------------
Total: 2330   505  Total Score = 3,528,435

Club: Southwest Ohio DX Association

Comments:

K3 died during the RTTY contest - was down to only 1 radio (Pro3) which was
partly deaf (preamp not working).  Decided at the last minute to do assisted
and concentrate more on mults than Q's.  First night was all S&P - 40, 80 & 160
were great from here.  Can't remember when the last time I worked 77 countries
on 80 was.  Even was able to work EU on 160.  Stayed up later than planned
because it was fun.  Got up early on Saturday and started S&P on 20 and then
checked 15 after a few minutes and it was wide open. That's were I spent most
of Saturday.  After a couple of hours working the easy stuff, found a good spot
high in the band and started a run.  First hour was 147 followed by 110.  The
signals were loud enough that I could hear them without the preamp.  Spent a
bit of time on 10 during the day - mostly SA but some EU.  Low bands on
Saturday night were not as good - decided to spend more quality time in bed
which worked well.  Got on before sunrise on Sunday and worked some nice stuff
on 40 and then spent an hour or so running on 20.  Checked 10 and it was just
starting to open.  Worked all that I heard and then started calling CQ up high
and the pileup started. 350 Q's in about 4 hours was a bonus I was not
expecting.  Spent the rest of the time alternating between 15 and 20.  Last
couple of hours I jumped all over working any new mults that popped up.  My
best score ever in this contest.  Will lose a couple of mults because N1MM
scored the /MM stations as countries.  RBN spots were really terrible on the
last day.  Amazing how many variations of one call that can get spotted.
Several 6 banders and many 5 banders.  The Distronix amp was really great for
letting me jump to any band and work a station.  Not sure how many band changes
I made but on Sunday afternoon I was all over the place.  Nothing else broke
thankfully.