[3830] ARRLDX CW JA1BPA SOSB/10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, icko@yahoo.co.jp
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW JA1BPA SOSB/10 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 12:36:46 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: JA1BPA
Operator(s): JA1BPA
Station: JA1BPA

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: CHIBA, JAPAN
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:   18
   20:   32
   15:    1
   10:  369    44
-------------------
Total:  369    44  Total Score = 48,708

Club: University of Tokyo Contest Club

Comments:

With SFI around 100, this was probably as much as I had expected.  Here is a
summary of the events during the 48 hours.

Saturday morning (Japan time) started with a decent opening of the West Coast
and several southern states in the Mid-West.  The only exception was K2SSS who
sent me "NY" and I could not believe my ears.  (After reading his post on 3830,
I understand why he could be heard.)  The band closed around 0300 UTC, and there
was no opening of long path around 1200 UTC except on 15mb.

Sunday morning (Japan time, late Saturday UTC) started at 2108 UTC when N0IJ
called in from WI.  I quickly found K3LR and NQ4I and knew that there signal
was coming via a skewed path from the east.  (Refer to K3LR's article on
Expanded Results of 2012 ARRL DX CW.)  I checked a normal path to the East
Coast all the time, but it never occurred.  Worked several big guns from New
England (CT, MA, and NH) and the band closed around 0230 UTC.

Monday morning (Japan time, late Sunday UTC) started later at 2133 UTC.  K3LR
was stronger than the day before, again via a skewed path but there were only a
handful of stations.  Simply, many people seemed to have judged that it was not
worth staying on the band.  I found W3NA from ME CQing (new multi), but he
never heard me.  Glad to work WK1Q (@K1TTT, from where I had operated several
times) around 2230 UTC.

In summary, there was no true normal path opening to the northern East Coast,
which reduced the number of Qs and multis this year.  I wish more stations on
the East Coast would try a skewed path (beaming to the West at 270 deg.) after
their sunset.

I will be working part-time for the SSB leg, probably 15mb single this time.
Hope to work you there!

Best 73,

Icko, JA1BPA