[3830] ARRLDX CW M5E(@GB2GM) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, olof@rowanhouse.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW M5E(@GB2GM) M/2 HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 15:07:56 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: M5E
Operator(s): G0CKV, JK3GAD, OH1VR, W6NV
Station: GB2GM

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Cornwall
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  318    43
   80:  472    47
   40: 1479    58
   20: 1353    58
   15: 1415    59
   10:  831    50
-------------------
Total: 5868   315  Total Score = 5,531,085

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

We (Kazu- JK3GAD, Oliver - W6NV, Seppo - OH1VR and Olof - G0CKV) had such great
fun last year (see
http://lists.contesting.com/archives//html/3830/2012-02/msg02159.html) when we
built a dx-ped/field-day style setup in SW England that we decided to go back
for ARRL CW this year.

We built our antenna farm similar to last year's with a 3-el monobander for 15
at 30ft, another 3-el monobander for 20 at 40ft. An enhancement was a
2x4-element stack for 10 below the 20m yagi. We swapped our inverted-L for a
13m toploaded vertical (a T) for 160 and our 80m inverted L was scrapped in
favor of an endfire array of two 15m umbrella verticals. For 40 we built a
broadside array of two endfire cells of verticals. A 240m beverage helped us
hear well on 160/80/40. The new ten-meter antennas served us very well and the
4-element 40m array was a star performer also on receive. The 80m array was a
disappointment or the local condx were poor - we clearly underperformed on 80.

Last year we had such good help from Oliver's xyl Ann with our radials for the
verticals that we decided to do more of them. Our 4 40m verticals had 32 10m
radials each and the 80 and 160m radials had 32 20m radials each. If my
late-night math is correct this means that 224 temporary radials had to be laid
out equivalent to 6400m pretty repetitive walk. Ann is now of the view that we
don't need to add any more radials, ever. Thank you Ann for your heroic
effort.

Conditions must have been quite reasonable. We had our fair share of challenges
such as horisontal rain and strong winds on this exposed site but we survived.
WinTest and the MicroHam boxes with a couple of small contest-dedicated PCs
helped us automate the station and the setup was well behaved.

We had hoped to have a rematch with M6T but they were nowhere to be seen this
year - did they chicken out :-) ?

Dmitry's cqcontest.ru site is great fun and increases the transparency and
excitement. We were trying to chase the EF7X team but we didn't quite make it -
our 80m underperformance and the somewhat shorter openings at our more northerly
QTH held us back. But we have no complaints. This SW England location is still
better placed than locations more east and north of us. Congratulations to the
EF7X gang.

Special thanks to the Marconi Center and the Poldhu Radio Club for allowing us
to use their site. Several club members showed up to help us build up the
antennas and lay out long runs of coax and on Monday after the contest we took
it all down and packed up in a single day with their help. One XYL fed us with
freshly home-baked buns every day we were on site. We thank them for their
great support and good humour.

Our team will now switch side and mode and be QRV as W6WB for the ARRL SSB
weekend from the US West Coast. M5E will probably next be heard in RDXC and WPX
CW but then from its usual home in suburban London running LP and wet strings.

73 de Olof G0CKV (SM6CKV W6CKV M5E)

PS - We worked an astounding 123 stations on 6 bands:
NQ4I        NR4M        K3LR        NY4A        K1LZ        VE3JM
K3ZO        N2LBR       N2MM        W2RE        W3LPL       KB1H
W1GD        W2CG        N4DW        N4HB        N9CK        W6AAN
WK1Q        K2PLF       NE3F        N3QE        N3RS        W0AIH
N1EN        K4MF        NA3M        K1AR        W2FU        VE9AA
N1WR        N4TZ        W2IRT       W4GDG       VE3CX       KB1EFS
W5WMU       AA1K        W1CSM       W2LK        VY2TT       N2WK
K3MD        W1WEF       KR4F        N3RR        K5WA        N8UM
AC5K        W4YE        K2AX        AD4EB       N8PR        AA3B
AA9A        NE3H        K8MFO       W1EQ        N2NT        VE1RGB
AA1V        W1GQ        K0KX        K2MK        K1LT        K4AB
W3EKT       VE9ML       WB8JUI      K5ZD        KF2O        W1CTN
K8GL        K3TC        K3CT        K3NK        N4PSE       AB2E
W5RU        K2UF        NA8V        N4VV        W2YC        W0UO
W4AA        N2CU        K5GO        K5TR        WN9O        N0IJ
K0AV        K3WW        K1ZZ        WA2VYA      K9CT        N8BJQ
K9NW        K1HI        KU8E        K2QMF       K3EL        K7BV
K8YM        K1TO        N5AW        K4TCG       K5GN        K3CR
WB2ABD      K9MMS       N4WW        N4YDU       K5RX        N4NX
W8MJ        N0NI        K0TV        K2LS        W3GQ        VE3UTT
K3BTK       NN1N        W2YE