[3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K8CN SOAB QRP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 19:05:39 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: FN43nc
Operating Time (hrs): 31

  160:
   80:   21    18
   40:  259    62
   20:  336    74
   15:  344    76
   10:   67    38
-------------------
Total: 1027   268  Total Score = 825,708

Club:

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K3/10 @ 5W to single fixed wire antenna, venerable Johnson
Matchbox

I started this contest with goals of modest improvement over last year's stats,
but mostly wanted to spend more productive time in the chair.  However, I was
extremely tired at the very beginning and ended up over-sleeping my alarm clock
both nights, so I thought I would be lucky just to match last year's Qs/mults.

Even though the solar and geomagnetic indices wouldn't have suggested unusually
good propagation conditions, it began to dawn on me Saturday morning that fewer
stations were asking me for repeats than is customarily the case, and I was
able to run on both 20 and 15 meters for extended periods. Local power line QRN
(arcing)has plagued me on the upper bands over the past few months and it really
hurt on 10 meters this time around - I could barely hear the stations I did
work, so I doubt that I would have benefited from that Sunday opening others
wrote about here.  Gotta get out there and DF the arc source(s), I guess.

The perverse logic of this contest was: sleep more, operate less, endure loud
power line QRN and set new personal record.

Thanks to all who dug me out of the noise/pileups: the real skill is on your
end!

73,
Mike, K8CN