[3830] ARRLDX CW G9W(M0DXR) SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW G9W(M0DXR) SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 14:28:35 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: G9W
Operator(s): M0DXR
Station: G3RGS

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Kent, UK
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   98    21
   80:  384    46
   40:  751    51
   20:  777    55
   15:  616    56
   10:  496    50
-------------------
Total: 3122   279  Total Score = 2,611,440

Club:

Comments:

It's events like the ARRL DX Contests that remind you how amazing Amateur Radio
Contesting really is! The buzz of the contest with amazing conditions makes it
even better! A very big thank you to Dave G3RGS and XYL Lynn for hosting me for
this one. Dave put a lot of effort to getting the antennas ready and they both
looked after me during the contest serving food and drink. It's people like
Dave that deserve recognition as they provide opportunities for young operators
without their own large stations to be very competetive.

I arrived at the station about 9pm on Friday. We got the station ready by about
22:30. Antennas were an inverted L on 160, Dipole on 80, Dipole on 40m (both
centered about 70ft in an inverted L configuration) and a 3 element tribander
for 20/15/10 up 70ft. Rig was an FT-2000 which is my father's (G3WRO) - thanks
Dad!

Propagation on the first night was very interesting. I found 160m to be
outstanding to the USA with very large signals. Infact, most of my 160 QSOs
were on teh first night. I took a sleep of 3.5 hours between 8am and 11:30am
each day which I think was sensible. I did not expect 10m to be as good as it
was. It wasn't bad on Saturday but was wide open on Sunday when I managed to
get the rate quite high. It's been some time since I recall ARRL being this
good on 10m. It was probably a result of sun spots rather than the solar flux
level.

I only had one radio so no SO2R here.

It was great to hear my K3LR buddies who I normally join for CQWW CW. K3LR are
claiming the M/M win for North America - congratulations guys! W3LPL as usual
proved to be great competition with very impressive scores also from K1LZ and
NQ4I.

Well done to Gerry GI0RTN down at G6PZ who entered the unassisted category. A
very impressive score indeed.

Thank you all for the QSOs and see you in the SSB leg!

73,
Mark M0DXR (G9W)