[3830] NCCC Sprnt Lad N5DO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5do@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprnt Lad N5DO LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 19:21:26 -0800
                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - Feb 22

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX
Operating Time (hrs): .5

  160:   0      0
   80:   8      8
   40:  20     12
   20:   6      6
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  34     26  Total Score = 884

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

When I went to 80M things were not right -- SWR was about 10:1.  K3 has an
amazing antenna tuner and I was able to get about 80 watts out -- then moved a
few KHz and was only getting out 4 watts.  Tried to call K5OT here in Texas and
he couldn't hear me.  As I puzzled over what went wrong I suddenly realized what
had happened.  I had disconnected one leg of the inverted vee yesterday morning
and stuck it temporarily between two fence slats while a new storage shed was
being delivered.  It arrived (from Seminole, TX -- a little over 200 miles
north).  Unfortunately they had built it wrong, and the door was on the wrong
side.  So off it went, and I went into the house without  reattaching the leg.
Later on yesterday and today the wind picked up to the upper 30's with gusts to
50MPH.  The leg must have been blown off its temporary location and is now
hanging straight down.  Fooled around some more with the antenna tuner and was
again able to get 80 watts out -- found Larry again and got the elusive Texas
mult for the first time in two weeks!

Thanks for a good ladder -- looking forward to number XVII.