[3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 20:16:38 -0800
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 44.5
Radios: SO2R

  160:   25    22
   80:  153    66
   40:  956    87
   20:  632    86
   15:  884   101
   10:  333    66
-------------------
Total: 2983   428  Total Score = 3,790,368

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

I did my offtimes right this time - no fatigue problem at any point in the
contest. Lowband conditions the first night were superb. After rotating thru
10/15/20 for JA's and sweeping lowbands for mults, I was mugged by EU's &
Russians when I finally started running on 40. This was fun.

During the 1st day, I only tried running EU on 10 once, and failed. 15 kept me
VERY busy after that, but my pileup was big enough to slow my rate and keep me
off the 2nd radio. I need to find a solution for that situation - maybe run
barefoot to thin the pileup.

The 2nd night was noisy on lowbands - sputter on 40 & 80 thru the EU openings,
with condx improving for JA. On day 2, 10 opened nicely, mostly to central
Europe. After 10 & 15 slowed, the usually absorptive daypath run on 20 produced
still more central Europe. Finished the contest with a slow JA run on 10.

The transition away from N1MM is nearly complete. I liked it a lot, but the
automatic flip of receive focus after every CQ didn't work for me, and turned
contesting into a game of 2 card monte: I would enter the 2nd radio call to the
wrong band or send on the wrong band hundreds of times per contest (excessive).
With WinTest, the focus stays where I set it, plus I get to invent
functionality by writing LUA code. Some of my scripts caused undesired ESM
functionality, so I need to debug them. In this contest, I had to complete many
contacts with the paddle.

Congratulations are due to one of our Texas locals, who achieved a mult total
comparable to the top east coast packeteers in both the Assisted and
Multi/Single categories, and with just 40 hours of op time. Knowing this is
possible unassisted from W5 is a real game changer. I have ordered the rubber
VFO ring.

Roy -- AD5Q