[3830] CQ160 SSB N7GP(N5IA) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5ia@zia-connection.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB N7GP(N5IA) Single Op HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2013 20:34:09 -0800
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N7GP
Operator(s): N5IA
Station: N5IA

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: AZ - DM52
Operating Time (hrs): 26
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 838  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 21  Total Score = 150,480

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

The station = two Elecraft K3s in SO2R and an Alpha 89 to a 1/4 WL vertical over
64, 1/4 WL radials.  RX antennas = 16, 1 WL Beverages.

And now for a tale of two nights.

Night one the noise was high and prop was relatively short.  Yes, EI7M and
CT3DL called in for across-the-pond Qs, but the first W1 Q logged was not until
0420.  And the floodgates did not open after that one.  A grand total of TEN, W1
stations were logged the entire night.

South American propagation appeared to be good however.  I was called by CE,
LU, HK, HC and YV for the most SA continental Qs ever in this contest.

A call by VK3IO at his sunset was another highlight of the night.

High Q hours were 0200-59, 0300-60, 0400-72, and 0500-59.

Night two was a bit less noisy at this QTH, but the propagation was even
poorer.  It seemed 50% of the Qs were right at noise level and fluctuating
between GONE and Q3 copy.  Even stronger signals would QSB out of hearing for a
few seconds.

High Q hours were 0300-54 and 0400-58.  Snore time was the 0900 hour with just
9 total Qs during the entire 60 minutes.  By contrast I had one good, short run
(packet spot induced I am sure) where I logged FIVE contacts in one minute.  Oh
for a night long party with those numbers.

The only EU stations worked the 2nd night were two ECs who called in plus I
found CR2X when he had nothing to do but call CQ.  WAC was finished when RW0CF
called in at 1021.  WAS was never completed as VT was a no show even thought I
wound up working a total of 12 New Hampshire stations.  Strange.

Some statistics:  VE-30, XE-9, and KH6-4.  High State contributions came from
CA with 94 (no surprise as the Golden State boys always do a good job) and OH
in 2nd place (big surprise from that Top Band Hotbed back east) with 51 Qs in
the log.  I think Ohio was about the end of good propagation from here.

TX was relegated to 3rd place (normally #2) this year with 44 in the log.  WA
called in 38 times and AZ, the home of the Arizona Outlaws Contest Club showed
29 contacts in the log.  Surprising activity was generated up north with 5 ND
and 4 WY in the log.

It was exciting at times in short bursts and pure HARD work at other times.  It
is fortunate that we tend to remember the good times and that is what brings us
back next year.  Thanks for all the Qs.  My apologies to all those that I
didn't hear at all, couldn't pull out of the mud, or even those few I had to
give up on after getting the call sign and never hearing you again for the
State exchange.  There were somewhat more of those this year than ever before.
My ears getting old???  No way!!!

73, and thanks for a great 160 Meter contest season.

Milt, N5IA, operator at N7GP